What is YouTube?
YouTube is a Google-owned video-sharing website where you can upload original content, watch videos uploaded by others. The service hosts videos across all genres you can imagine, from single uploaders to groups, corporate, movie production houses, music creators of all scale. The world’s most popular video sharing application is available across all OS and computing platforms.
Just like several other web and smartphone applications, YouTube also provides a dedicated interface featuring specific layout and themes which are adapted to different devices and can be customized by the users as per their viewing preferences.
YouTube Dark Mode
The standard background tone in YouTube, by default, is white, whether you are accessing that on a desktop browser, your Android device or your iOS device. The Dark Mode feature allows users to switch from this standard white theme to a deep black theme that can provide you a different, cinematic and kinder feel.
With activated Dark Mode, there will be less emitting if light from the screen that will be easy on the viewer’s eyes and therefore will amount less consumption of the battery. It will provide a completely new experience for the YouTuber viewers who have become bored with the standard white and are looking for something new and engaging to enhance their overall experience.
How to Enable YouTube Dark Mode for Windows?
YouTube Dark Mode was first introduced for the Windows browsers at first. If you want to enable the Dark theme for desktop on YouTube, then you need to follow only a few simple tasks:
- Launch any pre-installed browser on your Windows desktop.
- The second step is to open the YouTube site by going to the address: https://youtube.com
- Note – To enable the Dark Mode, you do not have to sign in to your Google account compulsorily. You can do that even without having to sign up into your account.
- Go to the top right corner to access the ‘Settings’ option which is represented by three vertical dots. Click on these dots.
- You will see a pull-down menu, where you can find the option ‘Dark theme: off’.
- Tap on that and toggle it ‘On’.
- This will activate the Dark Mode on your YouTube application in the browser. Your standard white theme will now change into deep black, verifying you have activated the Dark theme.
Not just on Windows browsers, you can do this on another OS-enabled desktop also whether it is Mac or Linux.
How to Enable YouTube Dark Mode for Android?
When YouTube announced the Dark Mode theme, it started its desktop version of the video-sharing application. It was also announced that YouTube will start rolling out this feature for Android soon. But still, this option is ‘coming soon’. So all Android device users will have to wait for the time when the official theme change option will come. Until that time you will have to do with the standard white version. Alternatively, you can use the browser to open YouTube and enable the dark theme as you do on your desktop.
Enable YouTube Dark Mode Using Root Access and Preferences Manager
Additionally, there is one way that can help you enable Dark Mode on your YouTube application on Android. But for this, you will have to root your device. This option can be enabled using the Preferences Manager app and having access to root of your device. Follow the below steps:
- Get root access to your device.
- Download and install Preferences Manager app from Google Play Store.
- Go to the ‘Show System Apps’ and then find YouTube in the list of the apps.
- Tap on the app and open the preferences files.
- Go to – youtube.xml and look for ‘dark’
- Now change the values, both, from ‘false’ to ‘true’.
Now go back to your app and you will see that the background of your YouTube app is in black.
Whatever device or platform you are activating the Dark Mode on your YouTube app, there are no other changes you need to implement.